Other Geared Steam Locomotives - New Additions

Geared Steam Locomotive Works ©

Home| Baldwin| Bell| Byers| Climax| Davenport| Dewey| Dunkirk| Heisler| Other| Rod| Shay| Willamette|
Books| Search| Videos|
 Help!

Advertisements

Articles

Patents

More Other Geared Image Pages  >>  ABC | DE | FGHIJKLMN | OPQR | STUV | WXYZNew Additions
   (Alpha by builder name.)

Builder: Grice & Long - Trenton, New Jersey.     Also once located at 1340 Beach Street,  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Owner : Philadelphia Coal Co. - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The locomotive ran with the road number #2.   It was named
"George W. Huntzinger"  after the company's president, George Washington Huntzinger. 

It had four drive wheels and two axles.  Power was supplied by two steam cylinders connected to a spur gear on a drive shaft located just behind the rear axle.  This gear meshed with a spur gear mounted on the rear axle.  The cylinders were mounted forward of the engineer's position and just behind the boiler.  They were angled approximately 30 degrees from vertical and toward the boiler. 
Power was supplied to the front wheel set with an side rod connected to the rear wheel set.  One side rod was located on the outboard side of each wheel set.
This image appeared on page 116 of the February 2, 1906 edition of "The Railroad Gazette".

Vulcan Iron Works (builder) - San Francisco, California  - > Roster < 
This company is not the same named and more well known locomotive builder of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.

Caspar, South Fork, & Eastern Railway #1 (owner)
Built 1869 ~ (2) 8" x 12" cylinders ~ (4) 35" drivers
The locomotive, named "Jumbo", operated near Caspar, California

 

Builder: Nanaimo Foundry & Machine Works ~ Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Owner : Nanaimo Saw & Planing Mill ~ Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada.   The mill and locomotive were owned by Andrew Haslam

The advertisement appeared in a 1906 edition of the "Henderson's Nanaimo City Directory".  It is from the Chris Sundstrom Collection.

Builder: Hawkins & Cantrell ~ 210 & 212 Beale Street, San Francisco, California
Owner : McPherson & Wetherbee ~ 36 Market Street, San Francisco, California.   The firm operated a sawmill near Albion, California

The article appeared on page 166 of the September 11, 1875 edition of "Mining and Scientific Press"

We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for contributing this article.

Builder: Surry, Parker ~ Pinetown, North Carolina - The company, named after it's owner and founder, built logging equipment of various shapes and sizes for sale.  Logging tongs, steam powered skidders, loaders, winches, and more....
Owner :
Surry, Parker ~ Pinetown, North Carolina

This is a sprocket gear and chain drive locomotive driven by two steam cylinders mounted approximately 25 - 35 degrees from horizontal above the interior floor of the locomotive and forward of a horizontal boiler.  A single sprocket gear was mounted on each of the locomotive's two axles with separate chains attached thereto.  The other end of the chains were attached to a separate sprockets on a single drive shaft above the floor and below the boiler.  The axle sprocket gears were of significantly larger diameter than those on the drive shaft.

The photo is from the State Archives of North Carolina ~ Surry Parker Photograph Collection ~ ID = PhC_51_F76_2


Porter, H. K. Company, Inc. (builder) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Geared Roster

U. S. Navy (owner) - Brooklyn, New York  
c/n 7208 - built 07/1934 - Std gauge - 16" x 16" cylinders - 50 tons - 0-4-0 wheel arrangement - "fireless" locomotive
Data from Lawrence HargisPorter Steam Locomotive Roster

The images were published in the article: "The Navy's Fireless Steam Locomotive" appearing in the January-February, 1935 edition of The Military Engineer



Builder: Ryther & Pringle ~ Carthage, New York
Owner :
Post & Henderson Company (PHC) ~ Jayville, New York

The locomotive was essentially a two steam piston, chain and sprocket geared "pole road" unit with concave, double flanged drivers approximately one foot between the flanges.  At this time, the first article below provides the only known physical details about the locomotive.  It discusses only the creation of a contract for the building of such a locomotive.  Article #2 notes the locomotive was built and used by PHC. 

#1 -
The following is a transcription of an article that appeared on the front page of the July 23, 1891 edition of "The Odensburg Advance and St. Lawrence Democrat" published in Odensburg, New York":

"Ryther & Pringle, iron founders and machinists, of Carthage, have taken the contract for making a unique specimen of mechanism and the perfection of the thing when completed will be watched with interest by mechanics. At present Post & Henderson, who conduct a large sawmill at Jayville, are compelled to draw their logs a long distance over rough roads in the woods with horses. This method, therefore, is necessarily slow and extremely expensive. To lessen this as much as possible Ryther & Pringle have taken the contract to make them a railroad train that they can run through the woods. They will first make two ordinary railroad trucks the wheels of which will be about one foot wide and will be inverted in the center, making a flange on both sides; the gear will be placed on each of these axles. A double engine will be placed on top of these and a sprocket chain will connect the engine with the drivers by the axle gear, thus affording power of locomotion. The wheels for the cars will be made just the same and when the train is completed for operation small logs will be laid on the ground at a certain distance apart and on these the train will run. This ensures a good road bed, therefore at any place, and can readily be taken up, loaded on the cars and transported to another place for use, thus making a portable railroad. Ryther & Pringle calculate that this train when completed will draw a heavy load of logs at least five miles per hour. The plan is a very novel one and when it is completed, will be a great saving to Post & Henderson."

We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for notifying us of the existence of the article and it's transcription.

#2 - This text gives credence to the locomotive's creation and use by PHC.   It appeared on page 50 of the book "Around Cranberry Lake".


Builder: Unknown
Owner :
Allen, George S. & Son Logging Co. - Littlerock, Washington

The owner was affiliated with the Allen & Son Mill Company of the state.  Judging from the unsophisticated appearance of the locomotive,  it was likely built by the owner.
Both photos were taken in 1902.  They are from the Washington State Historical Society with the following IDs in order from top to bottom:

1 - ID = C1948.1210.8
2 - ID = C1948.1210.1
We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for notifying us of the existence of these photos.

Builder: Lynes, S. D. & Co. - Bay City, Michigan
Owner :
Grow Brothers - Bay City, Michigan

A 6 wheeled, spur geared locomotive which ran on a "pole road"
Grow Brothers was a clothiers business.

Builder: Unknown
Owner : Meredith Lumber Co. - near Kent, Washington.

The photo is from the University of Washington Libraries ~ Kent Historical Society Collection (of Kent, WA)
We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for notifying us of this photo's existence.






 

Michigan Iron Works -  (builder) - Cadillac, Michigan - built 6 locomotives between 1882-83  designed by James Henderson.   These are locomotives are more commonly referred to as the  Henderson "Shay" 

Henderson's locomotive bore little or no resemblance to Lima's Shay for which his locomotive was "nicknamed".   It is thought the name was loosely applied by those who knew of  his licensing agreement with Ephraim Shay.    The specific design details used by Henderson that required the agreement are unknown.

The locomotive differed from the Shay in at least the following details:

  • The wheels were solid.
  • The drive shaft ran lengthwise below the center of the locomotive.
  • Side-rods were utilized between wheels on the same side of each truck.
  • Boilers were centrally located over the drivers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owner : Cummer Lumber Co. #1 -
(owner)
The locomotive, named the "James Thomas", was 36" gauge, weighed 10 tons, and had a cost of $3,000.140d. The company was based in Cadillac, Michigan.
The photo is from the Grand Rapids Public Museum, Michigan ~ ID = 134544

Builder: Brown, C. A. & Brothers Company (likely) - Ivanhoe, North Carolina

Owner : Brown, C. A. & Brothers Company - Ivanhoe, North Carolina

Home made, sprocket gear, and chain driven.  Ran on wooden rail.  The company was a producer of lumber.
The photo was published in Sampson County

Builder: Robb Engineering Company (builder & designer) - Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada - delivered September 3, 1897 **

Owner : Weymouth & New France Railway - New France, Nova Scotia, Canada

The locomotive, named "Maria Theresa", and the railway were owned by Emile Stehelin.    In the picture are the president of Robb Engineering, D. W. Robb (seated at the throttle), Emile Stehelin (standing just behind Robb), and Emile's son, Emile Jean, standing in rear. **

The photo is hosted by Flickr.com user Colin Churcher


Builder: Unknown

Owner : Iowa Ballast and Construction Co.  - Maxon, Monroe County,  Iowa

The locomotive appears to be a "sprocket and chain" drive system with two horizontally mounted steam cylinders and vertical boiler.  The yellow arrow in the lower images points to the location of the sprocket and chain.
 
The photo (ID 1192) is part of the Calvin Geological Photographs collection hosted by the University of Iowa Libraries.  We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for notifying us of this photo's existence.

 


Builder: Unknown

Owner : Moulton & O'Mahoney

The locomotive, named "The Jesse", is depicted in the photo taken October 12, 1900 at the construction site of the Wachusett Reservoir, Worcester County, Massachusetts. 

The locomotive appears to be a "sprocket and chain" drive system with at least one horizontally mounted steam cylinder.    
 
Photo credit: 
Goodman, George P. via The Digital Commonwealth of Massachusetts.    We thank John Taubeneck of Seattle, Washington for notifying us of this photo's existence.
Builder: Vulcan Iron Works - San Francisco, California  - Roster 
This company is not the same named and more well known locomotive builder of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.(1)

Owner :Caspar, South Fork, & Eastern Railway #1- Caspar, California - built 1869 - photo circa 1885 -  The wood burning locomotive was named  "Jumbo".     Built for the City Grading Co of San Francisco, California. (1)

Sources:
(1) Roy Keeley
(2) Photo by Fred C. Stoes via Yesteryear Depot

Builder: Adams and Price - No. 6 Vauxhall Street, Nashville, Tennessee (design from patent of W. E. Cole) - total quantity built is unknown
Owner : Unknown
This image appeared on page 377 of the August, 1899 issue of Railway and Locomotive Engineering.
Builder: Washington Iron Works - Seattle, Washington.
Owner : Eastern & Western Lumber  Co.
- Little Valdez Island, British Columbia, Canada

The locomotive had two 8" X 8" vertical mounted cylinders.   It was equipped with drive shafts, universal joints, outboard gearing on the driving wheels, and trucks that resembled those employed on a Shay geared locomotive.    The boiler was of a  60"x96" internal furnace type.   The steel frame spanned 24' in length.   It was equipped with a steam brake and reversing gear.    As shown, the drive shafts were uncoupled.  

This image and accompanying details appeared on page 32 of the June, 1910 issue of the "The Timberman" periodical.    It is believed to be the only locomotive the company built.

Builder: Grice & Long - Trenton, New Jersey.    Also once located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Owner : Unknown 

This image and accompanying text appeared on page 313 of the book "Development of the Locomotive Engine" - by Angus Sinclair.  The book was published in 1907 by the Angus Sinclair Publishing Co. of New York.

Builder: H. K. Porter Company, Inc. - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Owner : Unknown 
This locomotive  was promoted as a "Contractors Oil Locomotive".

Image from "Engineering and Contracting - Volume 43 - January-June 1915" 

This is "Other" Geared - New

More Other Geared Image Pages  >>  ABC | DE | FGHIJKLMN | OPQR | STUV | WXYZNew Additions
   (Alpha by builder name.)

Home| Baldwin| Bell| Byers| Climax| Davenport| Dewey| Dunkirk| Heisler| Other| Rod| Shay| Willamette|
Books| Search| Videos|
 Help!

This page changed June 28, 2022 03:55:42 PM